Saturday, March 19, 2011

Lead singer cites reasons for breaking up Sugarfree

(MB) MANILA, Philippines — Former Sugarfree lead singer Ebe Dancel confronted stops and starts March 1 when the band performed its final gig at the Eastwood City in Libis.

Dancel, who happens to be the band’s chief songwriter, told Bulletin Entertainment, “Lahat ng simula may wakas (incidentally, the band’s debut album was titled ‘Sa Wakas’). Kailangan ko muna umalis sa banda to try and figure out what’s in store in the future.”

He clarified, however, there were no harms and fouls in his exit.

“Ang importante nag-usap kami [members of the band] at nakapagpaalam sa isa’t-isa.”

A few months back, the “Hari Ng Sablay” hitmaker announced he was to go solo. He will release a full CD outing under Warner Music this summer.

Sugarfree bass player Jal Taguibao said he will concentrate teaching Political Science, his day job at the University of the Philippines while drummer Kaka Quisumbing will now have more time child-rearing.

Taguibao expressed, “[More than anything else, it had been a] privilege for us to do this graceful exit na sa iba hindi nila na-control na maging ganun.”

No reunions in the future
When Bulletin Entertainment asked if Dancel sees Sugarfree doing a The Dawn (Read: The Dawn resigned their instruments only to reunite years later), he turned down the possibility.

“People should not expect something like that. I can’t make promises I can’t keep,” said Dancel.

He then reminisced: “We were a bunch of normal guys who just wanted to play at [famous underground rock venues] Mayrics (along España, Manila) and ’70s Bistro (in Quezon City).”

Dancel admitted that while he penned a healthy catalogue for the band, “Things will never be the same but I’m still the same guy writing.”

At the end of the day, he wanted to recuperate from what he felt a taxing band grind.

He reasoned out, “In the meantime, I needed to take a break. Napagod ako especially sa last tour namin.”

The band left no hit unsung during the goodbye concert titled “Paalam Pilipinas.” The group performed four sets that included “Hari Ng Sablay,” “Mariposa,” “Huwag Ka Nang Umiyak,” the “Panday” theme “Makita Kang Muli,” “Kung Ayaw Mo Na Sa Akin.”

Sugarfree was last heard singing “Tulog Na” and “Burnout.”

Backstage, the scene was filled with rock luminaries like Buddy Zabala, Raimund Marasigan, and director Quark Henares who introduced the band. Other attendees included ex-True Faith members Ferdie Marquez and Francis Guevarra and Jericho Rosales.

The gig, which saw original drummer Mitch Singson play with Kaka Quisumbing in a two-drum setup, was heard live via Jam 88.3.

Sugarfree had a good 12-year run concluded on record via its last CD “Mornings and Airports,” that was released with live orchestra for back-up.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
They simply just call me "manoi" (a term usually called for first-born or elder brothers), but others call me "rai". My legal guardians gave me the Christian name Ryan Carlo Palima Garces. I obtained my bachelor's degree ( Bachelor of Science in Accountancy ) in Saint Joseph College, Maasin City, Southern Leyte batch 2001. I got married last Feb 13, 2008 and blessed with a wonderful, caring and hardworking wife and three bouncy and effort-intensive kid-dos (khym clyd, kliven dru and korbin jimm). My greatest passion really are into the sport of basketball, soccer and volleyball but since I was a kid, music really has a bigger impact on my life still, singing is my passion and I always dreamed of having a band playing inspirational musics and masterpiece. Later on, comes into my instincts that I have something in me into Photography.