Thursday, March 17, 2011

R.E.M. in fine form on 'Collapse into Now'

R.E.M., "Collapse Into Now" (Warner Bros.)
The fifteenth studio album from R.E.M. finds the band at turns combative and mellow. The opening song, "Discoverer," could have been a bonus track on "Accelerate." It's all hard-driving guitars and that classic Stipe growl.
With ten of the dozen tracks under four minutes, "All The Best" follows quickly with a challenge to the younger generation: "I think I'll sing in a rhyme/I'll give it one more time/I'll show the kids how to do it fine, fine, fine."
The album then hits its stride with a quartet of contemplative songs: "UBerlin," "Oh My Heart," "It Happened Today" and "Every Day is Yours to Win." This is the R.E.M. mainstream audiences love. Stipe's lyrics are sung poetry over the top of Peter Buck's simple chords.
The biggest misfire is the final track, "Blue." Patti Smith's guest vocal is mostly lost amid Stipe's monotone reading of a poem. Diehard R.E.M. fans may deconstruct it for meaning, but at more than five minutes it literally stops the momentum of an otherwise well-balanced album.
CHECK OUT THIS TRACK: "It Happened Today" features Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder backing up Stipe during the chorus before they together belt out a wordless harmony in a song that would be fun to see performed live. Alas, R.E.M. says they don't plan to tour behind this (yahoo)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
They simply just call me "manoi" (a term usually called for first-born or elder brothers), but others call me "rai". My legal guardians gave me the Christian name Ryan Carlo Palima Garces. I obtained my bachelor's degree ( Bachelor of Science in Accountancy ) in Saint Joseph College, Maasin City, Southern Leyte batch 2001. I got married last Feb 13, 2008 and blessed with a wonderful, caring and hardworking wife and three bouncy and effort-intensive kid-dos (khym clyd, kliven dru and korbin jimm). My greatest passion really are into the sport of basketball, soccer and volleyball but since I was a kid, music really has a bigger impact on my life still, singing is my passion and I always dreamed of having a band playing inspirational musics and masterpiece. Later on, comes into my instincts that I have something in me into Photography.